Live video on the Internet - the end of restrictions
IP Power Switch & Watchdog - turn on devices via the Web
IP Power Switch & Watchdog - turn on devices via the Web
The information contained herein may be outdated.
We are witnessing rapidly growing significance of multimedia communications technologies. The Internet is the medium that quickly adopts the latest developments. One of modern services is implementation of video streaming on websites. In most cases it is carried out using expensive professional systems dedicated for large companies. The systems usually have a number of restrictions:
- it is required to have own website;
- most of the cameras or video servers need ActiveX controls, forcing the use of Internet Explorer;
- camera manufacturers do not provide HTML code for embedding video on the website;
- a typical IP camera can provide video stream to only a few users;
- high-resolution video forces the user to have an Internet connection of high bandwidth.
Aviosys megapixel camera is a milestone in the field of live imaging on the Web. It solves the above problems, combining the functions of:
- CCTV camera
- Network Video Recorder (NVR)
- Web server
- Device-search utility and streaming server.
IP Power Switch & Watchdog (4-ch) Aviosys 9258HP
Why to choose AVIOSYS cameras?
Video without ActiveX controls
The preview by the Web is implemented as follows: if one uses the IE, for the first time a window appears, informing about the need to install ActiveX. After consent, the user can view the live image in the browser window. However, if one employs a competitive solution (Firefox, Opera, Chrome), the prompt does not appear - the MJPEG stream automatically allows to display the image.
Limited bandwidth of the Internet
Megapixel camera has a relatively high demand for bandwidth. Of course, a great impact also have the refresh rate and applied type of compression. So it is important to have the possibility of configuring all parameters that consume bandwidth and influence image quality.
HTML or how to put video on a website
Of course, all instructions can be found in the accompanying manual. However, a big advantage for the user is access to the HTML code which should be merged into the main code of the web page, as well as to the code of the video stream generator - with freely selectable parameters. It depends on the users whether they want to employ the supplied template to create a specific layout, or perhaps they only need the code to combine the video stream into a previously designed website.
Web server - the place where you have your website
Placing a website on the Internet, we can either use our own web server or select a company to host the website. Aviosys solution is based on a simple premise: when the online camera is to operate on a continuous basis to provide the visitors live video, it is most convenient to use the camera as the web server. Therefore, the camera is equipped with 2 GB memory (expandable), where we can easily upload all the HTML code, which will then be available to the Internet users as the website. Of course, to get everything to work correctly, we must configure an Internet connection and the DNS server (DDNS).
How many people can simultaneously log in?
A major limitation in the transmission of video over the Internet is the number of simultaneous connections to the video streaming source. On one hand, it is restricted by he bandwidth of the network connection, on the other by the possibilities of the camera itself. It is obvious that the number is significantly limited by the computing power of the camera. The solution is known - use of streaming servers, whose function is to receive the stream from the camera and distribute it among many users. This method eliminates both the problem of bandwidth and computing power, but has one disadvantage: it is not a cheap solution. However, Aviosys company offers not only hardware but also stream servers, cooperating with all Aviosys models. The service is configured automatically when the camera is set up to work on the Internet.
As already mentioned, the camera has a built-in memory. Of course, in addition to HTML content, it can record the video locally. At any time the users can download the files onto their PCs or play them directly through the network. Some models of the cameras allow to take out the filled up SD card and replace it with another one. These features allow to create fully functional video monitoring systems, especially that the cameras are supplied with application software supporting up to 16 devices. The recording can be performed by a schedule or may be triggered by motion detection or even by loss of network connection. The latter is especially important if we do not want to lose even a second of recording if the network transmission fails for some reason.
Due to the unique characteristics of the Aviosys cameras, they can be used in megapixel video surveillance systems, in video monitoring systems with distributed recording, as well as can be web servers with built-in video stream generators.
So the applications include:
- promotional campaigns in restaurants, hotels etc.
- in kindergartens - preview for parents
- in churches - live transmissions of services
- on the ski slopes - weather conditions
- gyms, swimming pools, entertainment centers, shops etc. - for video monitoring and/or promotion
Integration of Aviosys cameras and watchdog
IP Power Switch & Watchdog Aviosys 9258HP N3410 allows remote control of four AC power outlets (via the Internet network) - switching on/off up to 4 devices powered via the outlets. One of its distinguishing features is the ability to set for each output a specific date and time when the connected device is to be switched on/off or reset (switched off and on). The configuration is done using multi-event scheduler.
Integration of the camera(s) with the watchdog enables:
- Monitoring by the camera/s the effects of operation of the device controlled by the watchdog. On a single website, the user can configure one or multiple video preview windows (even from cameras in different locations, with any window size/s and layout, along with descriptions).
- Management of cameras and other devices through a single website, using any web browser. On a single website, the user can post the image/s from the camera/s and control buttons that allow to switch on/off the corresponding output/s of the AVIOSYS watchdog. Clicking on suitable button on the screen, the user can enable or disable the device connected to a specific output of the watchdog.
- Remote control of various devices from anywhere in the world via the Internet. Because the Internet operates globally, the user can control the devices in any location on Earth with AC power supply and Internet access and use the camera/s to observe the effects of the commands.
IP Power Switch & Watchdog (4-ch) Aviosys 9258HP - N3410
Some applications of Aviosys cameras and watchdog.
- Video monitoring and remote opening of a gateway, using wireless transmission.
The installation allows for:
- video monitoring of the vicinity of the gateway,
- remote opening and closing of the gateway,
- turning on and off the lamp illuminating the vicinity of the gateway,
- signal transmission over IP networks using ULTIAIR wireless devices (range up to 10 km) dedicated to professional systems.
- Control of household appliances.
The installation enables remote switching on and off household electrical systems and appliances:
- garden sprinklers,
- window blinds,
- various electrical appliances.
The control is very comfortable - can be maintained manually at any time or periodically (e.g. to simulate the presence of people in the home to lower the risk of burglary, to turn on heating before arrival etc.). The functions can be programmed in the device memory (schedule), or triggered via the Internet.
- Control of a level crossing and a gateway.
The installation allows to:
- open and close the barrier and gateway,
- monitor the vicinity of the crossing and gateway, also in complete darkness (the cameras are equipped with built-in IR illuminators),
- switch on normal lamps (not shown in the diagram) at any moment.
Remote control of various devices can be achieved using wireless transmission means provided by ULTIAIR equipment (it requires mutual visibility of the points), or employing optical transmission equipment of ULTIMODE series. Thanks to the use of ULTIMODE media converters, the remote devices can be controlled over distances of a few kilometers from the management center. The optical equipment applied in the example above meets the high reliability requirements.
- Automatic restart of a router/AP.
- Automatic control of the connected network device (PING utility),
- Automatic restart in the case of a hung-up,
- Periodical reset of the network device (to empty the buffer).
Network units operating round-the-clock require periodic resets in order to clear the buffer. Devices such as access points have mechanisms which control their operation. However, when the device is completely hung (its entire operating system), the restart is necessary to restore its normal operation. The watchdog has the ability to automatically monitor the connected network devices (monitoring based on PING utility, using ICMP request and response packets to detect the hung device) and to perform reset (switching power off and on).
- Remote power control of infrastructure devices.
- Remote power on/off,
- Remote disabling or restart of improperly operating or hung-up devices.
Remote restart of infrastructure devices (e.g. in a cable TV network) eliminates the need of sending a serviceman just to restart them. The operator can perform it remotely via the Internet.
- Easy way of building a website for preview and management
View of the preview and management window of AVIOSYS N3410
Using any web browser, the watchdog and AVIOSYS cameras, the user can monitor several rooms and switch on or off lighting, heating, open/close a gateway, reset a server or a headend etc. The interface is very convenient - on the single website the user has the preview from all camera points and access to all control functions.
LIBRARY NEW TITLES
TO KNOW MORE
ULTIPOWER Ethernet industrial switches enable data transmission at rates of 10/100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps. Their RJ45 ports support auto-negotiation and Power over Ethernet... more »
The article introduces concepts of implementing integrated telecommunications and RF distribution systems in multifamily buildings, which are compliant with new... more »