Ethernet media converter ULTIMODE M-407M changes electrical signals (Ethernet data) coming via typical STP/UTP cables into modulated light signal transmitted via one single-mode fiber.
ULTIMODE M-407M is reliable media converter set enabling the transmission of Fast Ethernet data via one single-mode optical fiber over a distance up to 40 km. Each unit has one SC connector used to transmit (Tx) or receive (Rx) the signal. It is possible due to the use of wavelength-division multiplexing technology (WDM) - different wavelengths of laser light carry different signals over one strand of fiber. It significantly lowers installation costs. The L11541
set contains two transceivers and two power supplies (5VDC/2A output).
One of the devices transmits optical signal in the III transmission window (1550 nm), whereas the second uses the II window (1310 nm). Sensitivity of the receiver and output power of the transmitter are optimized for 20 km. In the case of shorter distances (up to 2 km), it is required to use additional 2 dB attenuators on both sides of the link.
ULTIMODE devices have MDI/MDIX auto detection feature and automatically find and set the fastest connection speed and mode. "Store and forward" mechanism allows to verify the received data using checksum function.
ULTIMODE media converters are fully compatible with IEEE 802.3 and IEEE 802.3u standards. Their installation is very simple thanks to "Plug and Play" feature. The LED indicators show current operating status. Durable laser diode with Fabry-Perot resonator ensures the mean-time-between-failure (MTBF) at least of 100.000 hours (more than 11 years).
When a ULTIMODE device does not cooperate with a switch coming from another manufacturer (e.g. TP-Link), the Duplex parameter of the optical port in the incompatible device should be set to AUTO.
- 1 x Ethernet port 10/100 Mbps (RJ-45)
- maximum transmission distance 40 km
- transmission via one single-mode fiber (WDM)
- LED indicators showing operating status
- easy installation (plug and play)
- the set contains 2 transceivers and 2 power supplies
NOTICE!! It is not allowed to look directly at the fiber port when the device is plugged. The radiation invisible for the human eye can damage the retina!
Why to choose fiber optics:
- possibility of sending signal over long distances (low attenuation of optical fibers - e.g. for the wavelength of 1550 nm the attenuation is about 0.2 dB per kilometer, which means that the signal can be sent at a distance of 200km - without regeneration)
- high-volume information transfer via single fiber
- resistance to electromagnetic interference
- resistance to weather conditions (humidity, electrostatic discharges and others)
- no tapping possibility
- low weight and small dimensions
ULTIMODE media converters are widely used for the transmission of Ethernet signals over long distances and in areas exposed to harsh weather conditions. Optical fibers provide full electrical insulation and resistance to electromagnetic interference. Media converters are primarily used to connect building LANs (e.g. of scattered buildings of one corporation). Below there is a sample application of ULTIMODE converters.
The devices are designed for indoor operation. The ULTIMODE series includes a number of types:
- with two multimode fibers - transmission up to 2km - M-023M L10021
- with two single-mode fibers - transmission up to 40km - M-403M L11041
- with one single-mode (WDM) fiber - transmission up to 20km - M-207G L11525 and M-207M L11521